A highly inter-disciplinary field of Bio technology, Nanotechnology is the science dealing with atoms which are only a few nanometers in diameter. Nano is the Greek word which means "dwarf". To understand the word Nano in its simplest form, one can imagine in the following way: The distance of the growth of our fingernail in one second. The scope of this field is mind-boggling. A fast growing science, Nanotechnology is highly a research oriented subject to choose.
- The main objective of this field deals with the diagnostic and curative purposes. To quote an example, a Bio engineer has used Nano shells coated with gold to kill cancer tumors of mice. If this can be perfected, this can be used for curing Cancer than giving the "Chemotherapy" treatment.
- Though it is still at a nascent stage, Medical Nanotechnology will revolutionize the way diagnosis is done and will increase the precision of the diagnosis tremendously.
Institutes offering Nanotechnology
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scentific Research, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
Website: www. iitb.ac.in
- Indian Institute of technology, Delhi