Education is a right of every individual irrespective of age group. People get education in different ways. Some join school or college and study regularly. Many persons can not manage to study in college therefore they stay at home and do courses through distant education. Distance education is a type of education which focuses on teaching and leaning, using technology, and instructional systems.
Any age group can get valuable knowledge and complete degree courses by joining distance education universities or institutions. The main aim of distance education is to deliver lessons to students who can not physically attend college for numerous reasons. Distance education takes place when a teacher and students are separated by physical distance.
Such programs are very effective because they can provide a second chance to learn professional courses for candidates who could not study during their student life, reach to those who are deprived by limited time, distance or physical abnormalities, and update the knowledge of workers at their place of employment. Studying any course at a distance can be as effectual as traditional instruction, when the method and technologies used are suitable to the instructional tasks, there is student-to-student interaction, and when there is timely teacher-to- student response.
There are some achievement strategies for distance learning. First of all students have to set their goal. When starting a new course, look through the materials. Divide the lessons/assignments into convenient chunks. Students studying through distance education must set up a regular study timetable. They must clearly mark important dates and look at it every day. They must check which time is best for study. They must communicate with others about their study. It will help them to get feedback about study and to decide whether they are going on the right track or not.
They can also ask other experts to check their assignment before submission. Always search the Internet for bulletin boards or chat rooms related to topic if there is an access to internet. Put things into practice as early as possible. Finally, candidate must ask questions.
Distance learning has great number of advantages. These include: accessibility for those living away from the training center, saving time or other resources in transport, commuting to a central location for each class, flexibility to study in any suitable location with an Internet connection. Candidates can learn themselves. They can quickly browse materials they have already mastered, and concentrate time and effort in areas containing new information. Study materials are available at a personal speed and intensity, without having to wait for slower pace of the average classroom. There is flexibility to join conversations in the bulletin board discussion areas at any hour, and to review classmate's comments.
Through distance learning courses, students learn just in time and there are more opportunities to study the most current material available. Candidates who have restricted mobility (e.g., handicapped, injured, elderly) can access study material and complete courses to build career. Other groups such as parents with young children at home can access to education of their choice.
Though it is advantageous to learn through distance education course but it has some disadvantages also. It is costly and complex technology. To study through distance education program, students must have their computer with access to the internet. Such facilities are often not available for each candidate. It requires advance planning. Both the instructors and students who are involved in distance learning may need to make sacrifices at times to get all the things arranged in systematic way. Distance learning courses do not give instant results.
In a traditional classroom setting, a student's performance can be directly evaluated through questions and informal testing. Candidates who learn through distance education must have to wait for response until the teachers assess their work and respond to it. Distance learning does not always offer all the necessary courses online. It is not available for all subjects. Distance learning education is not evaluated by many employers as a good education for job. Although most employers do recognize distance learning, certain employers reject the candidate if he/she has degree with distance learning.
The major drawback of distance learning is that it does not enhance oral communication skills. Students in distance learning courses do not get the practice of verbal interaction with professors and other students. There is a social separation. Students mainly study alone. Distance learners may feel lonely or do not get opportunity of social physical interaction that comes with attending a traditional classroom. All these shortcomings do not relate to all candidates.
Distance education is a great opportunity for candidates who are keen to learn new concepts at any age. Despite of some shortcoming, this provides base for country development through educating people even in remote areas.
1) Indira Gandhi National Open University (1985), Maidan Garhi, New Delhi-110068 India. Tel.: 91-11-29532321, 29535924-32, 29535062-65 (EPABX), Extn. 2504 & 2508 Fax: 91-11-29536588. E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org Website : www.ignou.ac.in Total Enrollment in 2005 : 1312000 Approx
2) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University (1982), Road No.46, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad - 500033, Andhra Pradesh, India. Tel.: 91-40-3544910 Fax: 91-40-3544830. E-mail : email@example.com Total Enrollment in 2000 : 318650
3) Kota Open University (1987) Rawatbhata Road, Akhelgarh, Kota-324010, Rajasthan, India. Tel.: 91-744-421254. Fax: 91-744-421769
4) Nalanda Open University (1987), Camp. Office, 9 , Adarsh Colony, Kidwaipuri, Patna - 800001, Bihar, India. Tel.: 91-612-234330. Fax: 91-612-228513 Total Enrollment in 2000 : 641 This university offers post graduate degree programs, post graduate diploma programs, graduate or degree programs, intermediate program and other bachelor courses.
5) Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (1989), Dnyanagangotri, Near Gangapur Dam, Nashik-422005, Maharashtra, India. Tel.: 91-253-340228 Fax: 91-253-341716. E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org Website : www.ycmou.com Total Enrollment in 2000 : 397881 Offering courses including B Ed, M Ed & M Phil and other post graduate courses.
6) Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University (1991), Red Cross Bhawan, Shivaji Nagar, Bhopal-462016, Madhya Pradesh, India. Tel.: 91-755-550606. Fax: 91-755-550606 E-mail : email@example.com Offering bachelor's degree programmes, post graduate diploma programmes & master's degree programmes in basic sciences & health sciences and provides IT courses.
7) Karnataka State Open University (1996), Manasagangotri, Mysore - 570006, Karnataka, India. Tel.: 91-821-515149. Fax: 91-821-500846
8) Netaji Subhas Open University (1997), 1, Woodburn Park, Kolkata -700020, West Bengal, India. Tel.: 91-33-2873145. Fax: 91-33-2871082 E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
9) U.P.Rajarshi Tandon Open University (1999), 17, Maharshi Dayanand Marg (Thornhill Road), Allahabad -21100, Uttar Pradesh, India. Tel.: 91-532-621839 Fax: 91-532-621839. E-mail : email@example.com
1. School of Correspondence & Continuing Education, University of Delhi 121438
2. Institute of Distance Education, University of Mumbai 38425
3. International Centre for Distance Education& Open Learning, HP University, Shimla
4. Directorate of Distance Education, Kamraj University,Madurai
5. School of Distance Education, University of Calicut
6. Department of Correspondence Studies , Punjab University, Chandigarh
7. Prof.G.Ram Reddy Centre for Distance Education Osmania University, Hyderabad
8. Directorate of Correspondence Courses, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
9. Directorate of Distance Education, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
10. School of Continuing & Distance Education, JNTU, Hyderabad 0
11. Bharathidasan University, 8106
12. Directorate of Distance Education, Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad
13. National Law School of India, Bangalore
14. School of Distance Education, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala
15. Department of Distance Education, University of Kashmir
16. Distance Learning Progs. Div., Birla Institute Of Tech.& Sc., Pilani.
17. Institute Of Distance Education, Dr.Harishing Gour Vishwavidyalay, Sagar, M.P.
18. School of Distance Education, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
19. Central Institute Of English & Foreign Language, Hyderabad
20. P.G.C.S., Gauhati University
21. Deptt. Of Extra Mural Studies, International Institute for Population Sc., Deonar, Mumbai.
22. Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
23. Jain Vishva Bharati Institute, Ladnun, Rajasthan
24. Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya Viswavidyalaya, Satna, M.P.
25. Centre for Distance Education, B.R.A., Bihar University
26. Directorate of Distance Education, Tripura University, Tripura
27. Sambalpur University
28. Directorate of Correspondence Course, Universityof Burdwan, West Bengal
29. Directorate of Distance Education, Guru Jambheshwar University, Hissar
30. Directorate of Distance Education, Patna University, Patna
31. Institute of Distance Education, Patna University, Patna
32. Institute Of Distance Education, Jiwaji University, Gwalior
33. Centre for Distance Education, SNDT Women's University
34. Directorate of Correspondence Courses & Distance Education, Bangalore University
35. Institute of Distance Education, University of Kerala
36. Centre for Distance Education, University of Hyderabad
37. Distance Education Centre,
38. Institute of Correspondence Education, University of Madras
39 Directorate of Distance Education, Vidyasagar University
40. School of Distance Learning & Contg. Edu., Kakatiya University
41. Gujarat Vidyapith
42. Mukta Vidya Kendra, Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth
43. School of Distance Education, Mother Teresa Women's University
44. Directorate of Distance Education, Sri Venkateswara University
45. Directorate of Distance Education, University of Jammu
46. School of Distance Education, Andhra University
47. Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga
48. Institute of Correspondence Course & Contg. Education, University of Allahabad
49. Directorate of Distance Education, Annamalai University
50. College Development Council, Utkal University
51. Department Of Correspondence Course, Punjabi University
52. Directorate of Distance Education, Pondicherry University
53. Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
54) Annamalai University - Offering management programmes including M.B.A. programmes, hotel management studies & also provides I.T. programmes and fashion design studies.
55) Alagappa University - Providing post graduate courses in M.A. Tamil, M.Sc. Mathematics, M.Sc. Physics, M.Sc., Biotechnology and Ph.D., Biotechnology.
56) Rays Enterprises - Offering different courses like english learning, computer software, hardware training, overseas education counselling and event management.
57) IIC Management - Offering professional qualification programs such as MBA, MCM, BBA, DCM, PGDCM, UDBM, FDBM and foreign languages courses.
58) Easygyan.com - Engaged in offering courses like advanced diploma, marketing & advertisement diploma, HR diploma and general courses.
59) Bharathiar University - Offering different courses like professional courses, PG courses, UG courses, PG diploma courses and UG diploma courses.
60) Online Study Info - Offering courses such as MBA degree programs, bachelor degree, associate degree, doctorate degree and online graduate degree info and graduate school online degree.
61) Institute Of Derivatives Research - Providing online & distance learning courses such as post graduate programe in financial services, post graduate program in international business, post graduate programe in human resources, post graduate programe in stock & commodity analysis and portfolio management.
62) Olive Institute Of Technology - Providing courses like diploma of business management, advanced diploma in business administration, graduate diploma of business administration & management and master of business administration.
63) Shikshaarthi - Providing online prepration for all types of competitive exams and entrance exams.
64) Online Study Info - Offering online courses such as master of business administration, MBA degree programs, business administration, photography online courses and traffic online courses.
65) Directorate of Quality Management - Kuvempu University, Karnataka offering distant learning diploma courses in quality management.
66) Andhra University - Offering under graduate, diploma courses & post graduate courses and also provides B.Tech, B.Pharm, M.Tech, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes.
67) Tamil Nadu Open University - Providing programmes including post-graduate, under-graduate, diploma programmes, certificate programmes and also provides B.Ed programmes.
68)Kuvempu University - Provides graduate and post graduate programmes in arts, commerce & science and also offer Ph.D Programme.
69) Kuvempu University - Directorate of Distance Education - Providing post graduate courses in arts, science, commerce, law and master of business administration (MBA).