TOEFL Preparation Guidance
The TOEFL is tough test and candidates appearing in this exam must do thorough preparation to get high score
There are some useful tips for preparation of TOEFL examination:
Students planning to appear in this exam must make sure that they fully understand the TOEFL. Basically, The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is an English proficiency test developed by an American company called ETS. It is a test that measures candidate’s English reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills, and their ability to succeed at an English speaking university.
- There are bulk of resources available to help students learn about the test & help to study for the test.
- Another advice from expert is to get prepared for test. This means candidates must spend time for preparation of test. Candidates must know every reading question, every listening question, every speaking task, and every writing task on the test. They must also know the score of test required by university in which they are applying.
- While using a textbook, it is important to work with a teacher, either in a course or in private lessons. Candidates need someone to help with pronunciation, and to assess how they are doing in the speaking and writing sections.
- Candidates must read everything and listen to everything. They need to read extensively to develop their vocabulary. On the TOEFL, candidates will read passages or listen to lectures on everything from astronomy and American history to psychology and other subjects
- Candidates must understand how to take good notes. They must develop skill for the listening, speaking and writing sections of the test. They will have to answer questions on what they heard (listening section), speak about what they heard (speaking section), or write an essay based on what they heard (writing section).
- Candidates must have clear pronunciation. The speaking section evaluates three things:
- How well candidates answer the question and complete the task
- The grammar and vocabulary they use
- How they sound
- Candidates must learn how to write an English Essay.
- It is very important that candidates must approach to TOEFL test with a plan. They must spend enough time in TOEFL preparation so that they know their strengths and weaknesses.
- In order to maximize TOEFL score, candidates must be ready for test conditions and be well-rehearsed.
TOEFL Preparation Tips
Candidates must be familiar with the directions and questions before the TOEFL test.
Candidates must know the TOEFL format.
Today, many countries offer the Internet based TOEFL (iBT). A few offer only the paper-based test (PBT). Make sure candidates find out which test they will be taking before they start studying for the TOEFL. They cannot choose to take the paper based test if their country offers the iBT. Major reason of exam stress is that candidates do not know what to expect before a test. It is necessary to prevent stress on exam day by studying the format of the test in detail.
The best way to prepare for the TOEFL is to practise doing the tests. If candidates are taking a TOEFL class, teacher can give various resource material. If they are studying for the TOEFL on individual basis, then they have to purchase a few key resources. They can find a textbook that has exercises, vocabulary, practice tests, CDs, and explanatory answers.
It is well recognized that The TOEFL test takes a long time to write. If aspirants are taking the paper based test it will take about 2.5 hours. The iBT is much longer. Therefore candidates must have to build up their stamina.
For TOFEL test, candidates need to improve typing skills. They will have to fill out answers on the computer and type essay. If they rely on a few fingers to type, consider improving typing skills before taking the TOEFL. Make sure that they are confident typing on a QWERTY keyboard.
It is advised to answer every question to get high score.
In brief, TOEFL, the Test of English as a Foreign Language, measures the ability of candidate to understand English in an academic setting. Candidates must have to make great efforts to comprehend English language and obtain high score to get admission in desired institutes.