For taking TOEFL for getting admission in colleges of English speaking countries like US, Canada and UK and other few countries, the Eligibility conditions of the aspiring candidates are discussed here. A score in TOEFL Test of English as a Foreign Language reflects the English Proficiency of a candidate in English. Generally this test is taken by a candidate who wants to study outside his/her native country especially where English is NOT the native language.
For taking Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL Test no minimum educational qualification is required. The test administrator "Educational Testing Services" recommend that 11th grade level or above is suitable qualification for taking this test.
As far as Indian candidates are concerned, ordinarily a pass in 10+2 level of any recognized Indian Board or University is a suitable qualification to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test, although the level of the test is little on the higher side.
Exemption from TOEFL
Many Higher educational Institutions often do not require TOEFL test scores from certain categories of international applicants. These include:
- Non native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from postsecondary institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand).
- Non-native speakers who have successfully completed at least a two-years course of study in which English was the language of instruction.
- Transferred students from institutions in the United States or Canada whose academic course work was favourably evaluated in relation to its demands and duration.
- Non-native speakers who have taken the TOEFL test within the past two years.
- Non-native speakers who have successfully pursued academic work at schools where English was the language of instruction in an English-speaking country for a specified period, generally two years.
As the eligibility requirements come with added-up demands from various individual Institutions, students must contact the prospective institutions directly for admission requirements i.e. Requirement of TOEFL score, etc. If you believe that you should not be required to take the TOEFL test, please write directly to the institutions to which you are applying.
TOEFL Internet Based Testing