|Home >> Railway Competitive Exams
Railway Competitive Examinations In India
Indian Railways is the second largest railway system in the world. Its employees are numbered at about 16 lakhs. Indian Railways is divided into 16 zones and each zone is headed by a General Manager. Every zone is divided into some divisions and each division is headed by a Divisional Railway Manager.
The posts in railways are divided into four groups. They are:
Entry into the Group A posts is done through the Civil Services Examination and Combined Engineering Services examination. These examinations are conducted every year through the Union Public Service Commission.
- Group A
- Group B
- Group C
- Group D
Railway Recruitment Board Recruitment 2013
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd notifies 56 vacancies in Executive and Non-Executive categories
- Western Railway Notified Recruitment for 5775 Various Vacancies 2013-2014
- Eastern Railway,Sealdah Division Notified Recruitment against Sports Quota 2013
- RRC Bhubaneswar Recruitment 2013 – Apply for 1626 Group – D Posts
- East Coast Railway Recruitment 2013 Online Application Form (1626 Group D Vacancies)
- CONCOR India Recruitment 2013 Senior Supervisor Consultant in FHEL
- Eastern Railway Recruitment 2013 Application Form (2830 Vacancies)
- Central Railway Paramedical Recruitment 2013 in Pune
- South Eastern Railway Sports Quota Recruitment 2013
- Western Railway Scouts and Guides Quota 2013-14
- RRB Chennai Recruitment 2013 - 5450 Group D Vacancies
- East Central Railway Sports Quota Recruitment 2013 requires 56 Sports Persons
- 4655 Post Requirment in rrc patna – east central railway 2013
- Graduate Executive Trainee Requirement in rites india 2013
The list of Group A services is as follows:
- Indian Railway Traffic Service
- Indian Railway Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Personnel Service
- Assistant Security Officer in Railway Protection Force
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers
- Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers
- Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers
- Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers
- Indian Railway Stores Service
The officers recruited to the above services start their respective careers at the level of
Assistant Commercial Manager / Assistant Engineer. Later, they will be promoted to the
ranks of Divisional Commercial Manager, Senior Divisional Commercial Manager, Chief
Commercial Manager, Divisional Railway Manager, Additional General Manager, General Manager, Member (Commercial) of Railway Board and Chairman of Railway Board.
The posts at the level of Section Officer of Railway Board, Section Engineer, etc. comes
under the Group B category. For the former posts, the recruitment is done through the Civil Services examination. Some of the posts in the group are filled with the staff from the Group C.
For various categories of posts under Group C, the recruitment is done through
the 17 Railway Recruitment Boards spread across the country. Some of the posts in the
group are Ticket Examiner, Trains Clerk, Junior Clerk cum Typist, Senior Clerk, Ticket
Collector Junior Accounts Assistant, Commercial Clerk, Account Clerk cum Typist,
Assistant Loco Pilot, Junior Stenographer, Technician, Senior Permanent Way Supervisor,
Signal Interlocking Maintainer, Staff Nurse, Radiographer, Pharmacist, Health and Malaria Inspector, Depot Material Superintendent, Telecommunication Maintainer, Enquiry-cum- Reservation Clerk, Assistant Station Master, Goods Guard, Traffic Apprentice, Commercial Apprentice, Senior Permanent Way Supervisor, Junior Engineer, Section Engineer, etc.
The Group D posts are filled at the divisional level.
The jobs in railways offer huge salaries and perks. Those who reach the senior levels are even offered free railway passes. The promotions are relatively faster and easier in the
department when compared to other departments in the central government.
For entering the Group A services of the railways, the candidates have to appear for
the Civil Services examination. To know how to prepare, the candidates can visit
Different Railway Recruitment Boards conduct the examinations for the posts under
Group C. The notifications are published throughout the year in the leading dailies
and ‘Employment News’ weekly. The examination process will be like this:
The Examination Process generally consists of the following papers.
The syllabus for the Written examination will be generally in conformity with the educational standards and / or technical qualifications prescribed for the posts.
Another Skill Test / Interview if the RRB considered it necessary.
- General Knowledge
- General English
- General Arithmatic
- Analytical and Quantitative Skills
- Subject of respective posts.