Statistician as a Career
Candidate who has good mathematical aptitude can choose statistician as a career. The primary task of statisticians is to assist in design surveys and experiments. They also collect, analyze, and interpret numerical data. Statisticians use this knowledge to design, collect, and interpret data experiments inmany different fields of industry. This includes fields of economics, medicine, psychology, marketing, public health, biology, sports, and others. Even military considerations take statistical procedures for approval of certain strategies and sanctions. Some statisticians may gather data to learn whether new products are harmless or not.
This is very necessary to collect data and analyze before selling new products. Basically statisticians use samples to collect information about products. A sample provides information about a small group within a much larger group. It ensures whether it can be sold and profitable. Statisticians can learned about the small group by analyzing data from sample group and apply it to the larger group. Statisticians make a decision where and how to gather the data. They select the sample size. They decide what type of survey has to be conducted. They inform workers who gather the data how to do their job. They process the collected data and reach conclusions about the data. Today data processing is done through computer software. Statisticians are also heavily involved in the development of products and quality factors. They often work for automobile, pharmaceutical, or computer software companies in trial testing and product evaluation. Apart from development, statisticians are also involved with the manufacturing, asset, liability, and risk management, and marketing departments of firms.
Working condition of statisticians is not tough. Statisticians usually work regular hours in comfortable offices. Some statisticians have to make numerous visits to give advice to people. Some have to travel to set up surveys or gather data. Others have a lot of different duties. These include things such as setting up experiments and doing fieldwork. Some teach and do research.
Basic qualification for statistician job: Candidate who has a bachelor's degree in statistics may get entry-level jobs as statisticians. If they complete a master's degree, they can get high level jobs in this field. For research and teaching jobs, at least a master's degree in statistics, and generally a Ph.D. is required. A master's degree and several years of experience are usually needed to get a job in industrial research.
To become statisticians, candidate must have sound knowledge of computer skill because statisticians use computers frequently. Other skills needed for statistician job are good speaking and writing skills. This is because statisticians must often explain their work to others who don't know that much about statistics. Statisticians must have good reasoning ability, determination and the ability to apply principles to new types of problems.
Institutes for statistics courses:
- Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Anand. P.O Box No. 10, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Anand, Gujarat Phone : 02692-226881, 226871; Mobile: 9879535433, 9879691337, 9428435134 MSc in Statistics (Specialization in Biostatistics or Financial Statistics), Master in Quality and Productivity Management (MQPM)
M Phil, PhD Statistics. Certificate courses in SPSS, Biostatistics, Financial Statistics.
- Aligarh Muslim University, Department of Statistics and Operations Research, Aligarh Muslim University,Aligarh 202 002, U.P Ph : 2701251. Website : www.amu.ac.in
Courses : MSc in Statistics, B.Sc. (Hons.) with Statistics Main and two subsidiaries, Diploma in Statistics
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. Courses : B. Sc. (Hons.) Statistics, M.Sc.Statistics, M. Sc. in Health Statistics. Ph: 0542-2368418,2307255-58
Website : www.bhu.ac.in
- Christ College, Bangalore, Hosur Road, Bangalore - 29, Karanataka. Phone : 25536280. Website : www.christcollege.edu Courses : B.Sc. Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics(CMS)
- Punjab University, Sector 14, Chandigarh - 160 014 ,India
Phone : 91 172 53 4529. Website : www.puchd.ac.in Courses : M.Sc. Statistics, M.Phil Statistics, Ph.D Statistics
- Osmania University, Hyderabad-500007 AP, Website : www.osmania.ac.in
Courses : M.Sc. Statistics, M.Sc. Applied Statistics, M.Phil.Statistics , Ph.D.Statistics;
- Devi Ahilya ViswaVidyalaya, Indore, Devi Ahilya ViswaVidyalaya, R. N. T. Marg, Indore (M.P.)-452 001. Ph : 91-731-2527532. Website : www.dauniv.ac.in
Courses : M.A/M.Sc Statistics
- Fergusson College, Pune. F.C. Road,Pune 411004. Ph: 020-25654212
Website : www.fergusson.edu Courses : B.Sc.Statistics
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla-171005. Ph: 2830133, 2830218
Website : www.hpuniv.nic.in Courses : MA/MSc Statistics, MPhil Statistics
- Hindu College, Delhi, University of Delhi, University Enclave, Delhi - 110007, India.
Website : www.hinducollege.org Courses : B.Sc.(Hons) Statistics
- Hislop College, Nagpur, Temple Road, Civil lines,Nagpur-440 001. Maharashtra
Phone : 91-712-2532004,91-712-2520158 Website : www.hislopcollege.ac.in
Courses : BSc Statistics, Post graduate Diploma in AppliedStatistics
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Department of Mathematics and Statistics,Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur -208016. Phone : 91-512- 2597636
Website : www.iitk.ac.in Courses : 2-year M.Sc. in Statistics, Doctorate in Statistics
- Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore Centre, 8th Mile, Mysore Road, R.V.College, P.O.Bangalore-560059. Ph: 91(80)28483002/ 3003 / 3004 /3005 /3006
Website : www.isibang.ac.in Courses : M-Stat (S-stream, M-stream)
- Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, 203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, Calcutta 700035
Phone : 033-25752001. Website : www.isical.ac.in Courses : BStat, MStat, MS (quantitative economics), and MTech.
- Indian Statistical Institute (Delhi Centre), 7, S. J. S. Sansanwal Marg, New Delhi - 110016. Ph: 91-11-41493987. Website : www.isid.ac.in Courses : MStat
- Lady Brabourne College, P-1/2, Suhrawardy Avenue,Kolkata 700 017
Phone : 2289-7720. Website : www.ladybrabourne.com Courses : BSc Statistics
- Loyola College, Chennai, Sterling Road Chennai - 600034 Tamil Nadu, India
Phone : 91-44-28178200. Website : www.loyolacollege.edu Courses : BSc Statistics, M.Sc. Statistics
- Mount Carmel College, 58, Palace Road, Bangalore -560 052. Ph: 080 - 22261759
Website : www.mountcarmelcollegeblr.co.in Courses : Core combinations available:Economics, Mathematics, Statistics (EMS)
- Mar Thoma College, Tiruvalla, Kuttapuzha ( P.O) , Tiruvalla, Kerala, India ,689103
Phone : 0469 ? 2630342. Website : www.marthomacollege.org
Courses : Statistics Subsidiary of B Sc. Mathematics Course, Statistics Papers of M Sc. Mathematics, Statistics Paper of M. A Economics Course
- Maulana Azad College, Calcutta. 8, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Kolkata 700013
Phone : 91(300)2244-3737. Website : www.maulanaazadcollege.org
Courses : BSc Statistics
- Nirmala college,Muvattupuzha, Muvattupuzha, Kerala, India Pin- 686661
Phone : 0485 2832361. Website : www.nirmalacollege.ac.in Courses : MSc Statistics
- PSG College Of Arts & Science, Coimbatore. Avinashi Road, Civil Aerodrome Post, Coimbatore, TamilNadu- 641 014. Ph: 422-4397901 to 4397905. Website : www.psgcas.ac.in Courses : BSc Statistics and M.Sc.Statistics
- Parvathaneni Brahmayya Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, Vijayawada
Siddhartha Nagar, Vijayawada - 520 010, Andhra Pradesh. Ph: 91-0866-2475966
Website : www.pbsiddhartha.ac.in Courses : B.A.Economics, Mathematics and Statistics, M.A.Statistics, B.A.Computer Applications, Mathematics and Statistics
- Presidency College, Chennai, Kamarajar Salai, Chepauk - 600005Chennai,Tamil Nadu. Ph: (044) 8544894. Website : www.presidencychennai.com
Courses : BSc Statistics and M.Sc.Statistics
- Ram Lal Anand College, New Delhi, Benito Juarez Road, New Delhi-110021.
Phone : 24112557. Website : www.rlacollege.ac.in Courses : B.Sc. (Hons) Statistics
- Ramnarain Ruia College,Mumbai, L. Nappo Road, Matunga, Mumbai 400 019, India
Phone : 91-22-24143098, 24142480. Website : www.ruiacollege.edu
Courses : Subjects of Mathematics, Statistics and Economics are offered in Science as well as Arts stream.
- Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College, Opp. Railway Station Ghatkopar(West), Mumbai - 400 086. Ph: 91-22-25152731. Website : www.rjcollege.com
Courses : B.Sc.Statistics
- Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati, Maharashtra. Website : www.sgbau.ac.in Courses : MSc in Statistics, Ph.D
- St Xavier's College, 5, Mahapalika Marg Mumbai - 400001
Phone : 91-22-22620661/ 22620662/ 22620665. Website : www.xaviers.edu
Courses : BSc Statistics
- St Thomas College, Pala, Arunapuram P.O, Kottayam , Kerala
Phone : 91- 482- 212317. Website : www.stthomascollegepala.edu
Courses : M.Sc. Statistics, M.Sc. Biostatistics, Ph.D
- University of Calcutta, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata - 700 019
Ph: 2475 3680 / 81 / 82. Website : www.caluniv.ac.in
Courses : M.Sc.Statistics, M.Phil in Computer Application of Statistics, PhD
- University of Calicut, Tenhipalam, University of Calicut,Calicut University P.O., Kerala-673 635. Ph: 91 494 2401144 - 48, 50-52 , 2401665 - 72
Website : www.universityofcalicut.info Courses : M.Sc.Statistics
- University of Kerala,Thiruvananthapuram, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram,Kerala- 695034. Ph: 91-471-2306422
Website : www.keralauniversity.edu Courses : MSc Statistics, MPhil Statistics, PhD
As far as job is concerned, many experienced statistician work for businesses and other join government job. There are numerous job opportunities in this field and average growth is expected in the number of jobs from 2006 to 2016. Many other environmental, scientific, and agricultural agencies hire statisticians for similar type of work in their respective fields. Even national defense organizations hire statisticians to assess weapons and strategy effectiveness. However, those with degrees in statistics should have a bright chance of getting jobs in other fields, especially jobs that deal with analyzing data and forming an opinion about it. Candidate can have golden opportunity to choose this career because in professional field, there are limited jobs. In this field, candidates can work in stress less environment and live comfortable life.
l as at work and develop a personal action plan to improve both their image and their customer service skills.